Xiaomi further strengthens its mid-range with the new Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power, a new device that shares 99% of the DNA with the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 4G that they presented in China a few weeks ago, but with some – few – differences. In this article, we will provide you a step by step guide on how to root Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power
The Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power is a new mid-range with Snapdragon 662 and a large 6,000 mAh battery. Unlike the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 4G, it has a 48-megapixel quad camera, although it has less RAM.
Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power datasheet
|XIAOMI REDMI 9 POWER|
|SCREEN||IPS 6.53 “19.5: 9|
2.340×1.080 px, 400 nits
Gorilla Glass 3
|DIMENSIONS AND WEIGHT||163.32 x 77.3 x 9.6 mm|
|STORAGE||64/128 GB UFS 2.1 (microSD up to 512 GB)|
|FRONTAL CAMERA||8 MP|
|REAR CAMERA||48 MP|
8 MP wide angle
2 MP macro
2 MP bokeh
Fast charge 18W
Wi-Fi 802.11a / b / g / n / ac
2.4G / 5G
|OTHERS||Side fingerprint reader, dual SIM, GPS|
What is a bootloader?
A bootloader is the piece of code that runs before the operating system and tells the phone how to boot and find the system kernel.
The bootloader image is always specific to a device because each phone has different specifications and processors.
Steps to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power
Like every other smartphone, Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power comes with a locked bootloader.
The locked bootloader restricts the users from enjoying access to certain advanced features and one needs to unlock the bootloader in order to root a device.
Fortunately, the bootloader of a Xiaomi device can be easily unlocked.
You have to follow the below steps to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power.
- First of all, we advise you to have a full backup of your device, as unlocking the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power will wipe off all the data.
- Now, you have to download the official Mi Unlock Tool on your computer from their official website.
Also, be sure to install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your computer.
- Now, go to the settings option of your device, and, login to your Mi Account.
Once you have logged in then you have to wait for at least 7 days before moving to the next step. and if you are already logged in for more than 7 days, then feel free to skip this step.
- Now go to Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device.’ Also, sync all Apps data at least once.
- In order to enable the developer option, you have to open Settings and go to About Phone.
Tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version, and a message displaying ‘You are now a developer’ will appear on your screen.
- To access developer options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
In developer options, you have to enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Now, connect your device to an active internet connection on Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power with the same number that you used in the Mi account.
Then again, go to the Developer Options > Mi Unlock Status and link your Mi Account.
- Then, switch your device off and then long-press the Volume Down + Power button together to boot Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power into Fastboot mode.
When the image of the Mi Bunny shows up on the screen then release both buttons.
- Now, you have to make sure that your PC is connected to an active Internet network connection.
Now, open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power.
- when your phone is detected, click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- Now, it will now unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power, and this will wipe off all the data from your phone.
Once you are done unlocking the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power, you can check in the developer options under Settings.
If the OEM unlocking is greyed out then the bootloader is unlocked successfully or you can check the unlocked status in the developer options.
If it shows an unlocked icon then the device is unlocked.
Once, the bootloader of your phone has been unlocked, you can do system-level changes on your phone and now you can also root Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power.
However, before you move forward to root your phone, make sure to go through the prerequisites.
Advantages of rooting your devices
- You can squeeze the hardware to the maximum and optimize the battery
- Maximum Customisation
- No need to worry about updates
- Activate additional or blocked functions
- Detailed control and security
So, if you wish to root your Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power, then you are at the right place, as in this article, we will provide you a step by step guide on how to root Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power.
However, before you move forward towards rooting your device, you need to unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power.
- Firstly, be sure that you have unlocked the Bootloader of Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power.
- We recommend you to take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong.
- Now, download Magisk Manager APK
- Make sure you have installed ADB & Fastboot driver on PC.
- Download Poco M3 firmware (the same version which is installed)
FAQ(Frequently Asked Questions related to rooting)
- What is rooting?
Basically, it allows you to access the entire operating system and further customize your Android.
You can do whatever you want on your device without the manufacturer or operator restrictions.
2) How difficult is it to root your device?
The truth is that rooting the mobile is not much more complex than installing some applications.
3) How long does it take to root an android device?
It usually takes less than an hour.
How To Root Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power Step By Step Guide
Let’s begin the rooting process.
- In the first step, extract the Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power firmware on your computer and find the boot.img in the extracted folder.
- Now, you have to copy the boot.img and Magisk Manager APK to your Poco M3.
- Now install the Magisk Manager and open the application on your device and click on the first Install, and in the next pop up screen, click on Install.
- On the next screen, you will find yourself to be confronted with two options, and you have to choose “Select and Patch a File.”
And then select the boot.img.
- It will start patching the file, wait for the patching process.
- Once you are done patching, the output file will be saved in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img.
- Then, you have to copy the patched file to your computer at location C:\adb.
Now, you have to rename the file to boot.img.
- After that, turn off your Xiaomi Redmi 9 Power and boot into Fastboot mode (use the guide given in unlock bootloader).
Now, connect your phone to the computer when it is in Fastboot mode.
- Go to C:\adb location and replace the location tab with CMD and press enter.
It will open the command window on your computer.
- In order to check the device connectivity, enter the below command in CMD.
It should return some ID, which means the device is connected.
If it didn’t show, then enter the same command again.
- Then enter the below command to flash the patched boot image and root Poco M3.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing, reboot your phone into the system and enjoy the root access on your device.
Now, that your phone has been rooted, you can enjoy the access to certain advanced features.
You can also uninstall the pre installed applications.
Incase you have any query, feel free to post it in the comment section.