How To Unlock Bootloader And Root OnePlus 8T Step By Step Guide
In this tutorial, you will learn how to unlock the bootloader and root OnePlus 8T in the easiest way possible.
OnePlus announced it’s latest OnePlus 8T on 14th October 2020 and has been recently launched on 16th October 2020.
OnePlus 8T is the latest flagship phone which is launched with higher specs for better performance.
Kernel Source for the device has also been shared by the Company, hence, custom developments will be available for the device shortly.
Key Specifications Of The OnePlus 8T
Let us brief you about certain key features of the device.
Talking about the display, we are pleased to inform you that it has 6.55 inches, Fluid AMOLED, 120Hz, HDR10+ display screen.
The device runs on Android 11 based OxygenOS 11 out of the box.
It has a Li-Po 4500 mAh battery power.
It is available in Aquamarine Green and Lunar Silver, and the price range starts from Rs. 42,999.
The device comes with the latest Snapdragon 865 processor which is integrated with Adreno 650 GPU.
There are two different RAM variants of the OnePlus 8T (8GB & 12GB).
OnePlus is a popular brand among custom developers because the brand allows its customers to Unlock Bootloader easily and customize the device as the users wish to.
Surprisingly, you can root your phone with just one simple method.
In this article, we will tell you how you can unlock bootloader and root OnePlus 8T.
FAQ(Frequently Asked Questions related to rooting)
What is rooting?
Basically, it allows you to access the entire operating system and further customize your Android.
You can do whatever you want on your device without manufacturer or operator restrictions.
How difficult is it to root your device?
The truth is that rooting the mobile is not much more complex than installing some applications
How long does it take to root an android device?
It usually takes less than an hour
Advantages of Rooting OnePlus 8T
To root an android phone is not an easy task, however, companies like OnePlus allows its users to easily unlock bootloader and customize their phones.
Rooting a phone provides you the access to certain new features.
Some of the basic features are that it gives a platform to support custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more.
OnePlus 8T can be easily rooted but for that, first you have to unlock bootloader.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 8T
Unlocking the bootloader in an OnePlus 8T is an easy process.
Let us brief you about the step by step process now.
- In the first step, it is advised to have a full back up of the phone data as unlocking the Bootloader will delete all the phone data.
- Next, you have to install ADB & Fastboot driver on your computer.
- In the third step, open Settings on your OnePlus 8T and go to the ‘About Phone’ option.
- In the About Phone option, you will see Build Number, you have to tap about 7-8 times on it.
It will display ‘You are now a developer’ on your phone screen.
- Now, go back to the main Settings then go to System > Developer Options.
- Now, in the developer option, you have to enable OEM Unlocking & USB Debugging.
You also have to enable the Advance reboot option from developer options.
- Now, you have to long-press the power button, and it will give a few extra options, select the Bootloader option.
You can also boot into fastboot by using shortcut buttons.
- Now, The OnePlus 8T will now boot into Fastboot Mode/Bootloader mode.
- Once the phone is in Fastboot mode, connect it to the computer.
- In this step, you have to open the command/CMD window on your PC.
To check if the device is connected, enter the below command.
It will give some device id.
- Fastboot devices
- Once it is connected, enter the below command.
- Fastboot OEM unlock
- The above command will prompt options on your phone.
Now, you have to use the Volume buttons to toggle options.
Then Select ‘Unlock the Bootloader’ and press the Power button.
- Unlocking the bootloader will will remove all data and USB Debugging. The device will now auto-reboot into the system after finishing the unlocking.
- Now, set up your device and enjoy the OnePlus 8T with unlocked bootloader.
Now, when you have unlocked the Bootloader, your device is now good to be rooted.
However, before, you move forward to root your phone, make sure you have the below provided requirements fulfilled.
- Make sure to have a full backup of your device.
- You have to download Magisk Manager APK on your device.
- The bootloader on your phone should be unlocked.
- Install ADB & Fastboot driver installed on your PC
- Download firmware for your phone (The same version that is installed on your phone)
Steps to Root OnePlus 8T with Magisk
There are only limited methods to root a phone.
In this article, we will tell you how to root your phone using Magisk.
So let’s check how you can root OnePlus 8T with Magisk patched files.
- In the first step, you have to extract the boot.img from the downloaded firmware and copy the boot image to your OnePlus 8T.
Different methods can be used to extract the firmware.
- In the next step, you have to install the Magisk Manager app on your phone.
- Now, open the Magisk Manager on your phone and click Install > Install.
- Now, you have to choose the option ‘Select and Patch a File’ and locate the boot.img file that you had copied earlier.
- Once you have selected the boot.img file, it will start patching the file. After patching, the output file will save in the Download folder with the name magisk_patched.img.
- Now, copy the patched file to your computer C:\adb location.
Now, rename the file from magisk_patched.img to boot.img.
- In this step, boot your OnePlus 8T to Fastboot Mode using the steps given in the ‘unlock the bootloader’ section.
- Now, when the device is in Fastboot Mode, you have to connect your phone to the computer using a USB cable.
- In this step, you have to go to C:\adb location and replace the location tab with CMD and press enter.
It will open the command window on your computer.
- Now, you have to enter the below command in the command window and it should return some ID, which means the device is connected.
– Fastboot Devices
- Now enter the below command to flash patched boot image and root OnePlus 8T.
– Fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Once you have completed the flashing, reboot your phone into the system, and enjoy the root privilege on your phone.
Now, that you have rooted your phone, you have the access to all the features and applications that require root access.
After rooting your phone, you have the access to uninstall any pre-installed apps, block Ads from the system.
The above-stated features are just the basic advantages of rooting a phone, if you are well familiar with the root, then you can do a lot more with your OnePlus 8T.
If you have any queries, feel free to post it in the comment section below. Enjoy rooting and having the full access to your phone.