In this article, we will tell you how to Root Xiaomi Poco M3 and enjoy access to the advanced features of the device.
Here, we will provide you a guide following which you can root your Poco M3, but we must bring it to your notice that in order to root a device, firstly you have to unlock the bootloader.
Poco M3 has been recently launched back in November 2020, the device is being appreciated for its smooth performance and classy design.
We are pleased to tell you that rooting the Poco M3 is quite an easy task.
Poco has commenced to establish itself as an independent brand, credit goes to the production of amazing devices like Poco M3, Poco M2 pro etc.
The Poco M3 packs some amazing features that deliver great performance and, as it a phone by Xiaomi, so it also has a customizable UI.
However, before we move forward to the section containing the guide on how to root Xiaomi Poco M3.
Key Features Of Xiaomi Poco M3
Let us brief you about the amazing specifications of the Poco M3 before moving onto the rooting process.
Poco M3 is an affordable smartphone and the latest one of the M series.
The first thing that is going to capture the attention of the buyers is the stunning design of the device which resembles with OnePlus 8T Cyberpunk 2077 edition.
The device is available in three color options, Poco Yellow, Cool Blue, and Power Black.
Talking about the display, the device has a 6.53-inch Full HD+ dot drop display or dew-drop display.
It has a resolution of 2340 × 1080 pixels with 19.5:9 aspect ratio, 90.34% screen-to-body ratio, 70% NTSC color gamut.
It powers Snapdragon 662 processor integrated with Adreno 610 GPU.
Poco M3 is coupled with 4GB RAM along with 64GB and 128GB of internal storage.
Coming to the optics, the device flaunts a triple rear camera stack.
It has a 48MP primary sensor with a 1/2″ sensor size, f/1.79 aperture and autofocus which is followed by a 2MP macro lens and a 2MP depth sensor both with f/2.2 aperture.
There is a dual-LED flash for the low-light scenario.
It sports a 6000mAh battery which lasts 25% longer than an average smartphone.
Why Root Xiaomi Poco M3?
Xiaomi is known as one of the best brands for custom developments like custom ROMs, Custom Recoveries, and more, moreover, it is also easy to root Xiaomi phones.
Rooting provides an access to certain advanced features such as support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more.
Poco is a sub-brand from Xiaomi and so it is also popular among custom developers.
Certain advanced features of a device require root access.
Advantages of rooting your devices
- You can squeeze the hardware to the maximum and optimize the battery
- Maximum Customisation
- No need to worry about updates
- Activate additional or blocked functions
- Detailed control and security
So, if you wish to root your Poco M3, then you are at the right place, as in this article, we will provide you a step by step guide on how to root your Poco M3.
However, before you move forward towards rooting your device, you need to unlock the bootloader of Poco M3.
What is bootloader?
A bootloader is the piece of code that runs before the operating system and tells the phone how to boot and find the system kernel.
The bootloader image is always specific to a device because each phone has different specifications and processors.
Steps to unlock the bootloader of Poco M3
Like every other smartphone, Poco M3 comes with a locked bootloader.
The locked bootloader restricts the users from enjoying access to certain advanced features and one needs to unlock the bootloader in order to root a device.
Fortunately, the bootloader of a Xiaomi device can be easily unlocked.
You have to follow the below steps to unlock bootloader of Poco M3.
- First of all, we advise you to have a full backup of your device, as unlocking the bootloader of Poco M3 will wipe off all the data.
- Now, you have to download the official Mi Unlock Tool on your computer from their official website.
Also, be sure to install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your computer.
- Now, go to the settings option of your device, and, login to Mi Account.
Once you have logged in then you have to wait for at least 7 days before moving to the next step. and if you are already logged in for more than 7 days, then feel free to skip this step.
- Now go to Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device.’ Also, sync all Apps data at least once.
- In order to enable the developer option, you have to open Settings and go to About Phone.
Tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version, and a message displaying ‘You are now a developer’ will appear on your screen.
- To access developer options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- In developer options, you have to enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Now, connect your device to an active internet connection on Poco M3 with the same number that you used in the Mi account.
Then again, go to the Developer Options > Mi Unlock Status and link your Mi Account.
- Then, switch your device off and then long-press the Volume Down + Power button together to boot Poco M3 into Fastboot mode.
When the image of the Mi Bunny shows up on the screen then release both buttons.
- Now, you have to make sure that your PC is connected to an active Internet network connection.
Now, open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Poco M3
- when your phone is detected, click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- Now, it will now unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Poco M3, and this will wipe off all the data from your phone.
Once you are done unlocking the bootloader of Xiaomi Poco M3, you can check in the developer options under Settings.
If the OEM unlocking is greyed out then the bootloader is unlocked successfully or you can check in the unlocked status in the developer options.
If it shows an unlocked icon then the device is unlocked.
Once, the bootloader of your phone has been unlocked, you can do system-level changes on your phone and now you can also root your Poco M3.
However, before you move forward to root your phone, make sure to go through the prerequisites.
- Firstly, be sure that you have unlocked the Bootloader of Poco M3.
- We recommend you to take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong.
- Now, download Magisk Manager APK
- Make sure you have installed ADB & Fastboot driver on PC.
- Download Poco M3 firmware (the same version which is installed)
FAQ(Frequently Asked Questions related to rooting)
- What is rooting?
Basically, it allows you to access the entire operating system and further customize your Android.
You can do whatever you want on your device without the manufacturer or operator restrictions.
2) How difficult is it to root your device?
The truth is that rooting the mobile is not much more complex than installing some applications.
3) How long does it take to root an android device?
It usually takes less than an hour.
Root Xiaomi Poco M3 Step By Step Guide
Let’s begin the rooting process.
- In the first step, extract the Poco M3 firmware on your computer and find the boot.img in the extracted folder.
- Now, you have to copy the boot.img and Magisk Manager APK to your Poco M3.
- Now install the Magisk Manager and open the application on your device and click on the first Install, and in the next pop up screen, click on Install.
- On the next screen, you will find yourself to be confronted with two options, and you have to choose “Select and Patch a File.”
And then select the boot.img.
- It will start patching the file, wait for the patching process.
- Once you are done patching, the output file will be saved in the download folder with the name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img.
- Then, you have to copy the patched file to your computer at location C:\adb.
Now, you have to rename the file to boot.img.
- After that, turn off your Xiaomi Poco M3 and boot into Fastboot mode (use the guide given in unlock bootloader).
Now, connect your phone to the computer when it is in Fastboot mode.
- Go to C:\adb location and replace the location tab with CMD and press enter.
It will open the command window on your computer.
- In order to check the device connectivity, enter the below command in CMD.
It should return some ID, which means the device is connected.
If it didn’t show, then enter the same command again.
- Then enter the below command to flash the patched boot image and root Poco M3.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing, reboot your phone into the system and enjoy the root access on your device.
Now, that your phone has been rooted, you can enjoy the access to certain advanced features.
You can also uninstall the pre installed applications.
Incase you have any query, feel free to post it in the comment section.