You must be glad to know that you can use Windows 10 on M1 powered Macs.
Here in this guide, you will learn how to use Windows 10 on Mac M1 using parallels.
Apple introduced its first-gen silicon chipset based on MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac Mini, and these silicon chips are called Apple M1.
These silicon chips are specially designed for Mac and run on macOS starting with macOS Big Sur.
The new Apple M1 chips are comprised of different structures than an intel chip.
Hence, the applications that are compatible with the other chips may not work properly on M1 Mac.
Apple also blocks users from sideloading iOS Apps on M1 Macs.
Earlier users could follow some workaround method to sideload Apps.
But now if you try to sideload, it will throw an error.
Luckily the Apple M1 chip is based on ARM and so it is possible to install ARM-based OS.
The ARM feature allows you to install Windows 10 ARM, but you won’t be able to install the X86 version of Windows 10.
How To Use Windows 10 on M1 Mac
In the cases of Intel based macs, one can use boot Camp to get Windows on Mac.
However, as the Apple M1 is an ARM based chip the Boot Camp will not work on Modern Macs.
So, here we will provide you a guide using which you can operate Windows on Mac M1.
Disclaimer: Parallel desktop for Mac with Apple M1 Chip is still in technical preview, so there can be some bugs but the performance is decent.
Install Parallels Desktop for M1 Mac
- In the first step, you have to download Parallels Desktop for M1 Mac using this link. You need to sign up in order to download the technical preview.
- During the signup process, you will get an activation key.
You are required to save the activation key and download Parallels Desktop.
- Once you have the DMG file of Parallels, install it on your M1 Mac.
- In this step, you have to go through all the required installation steps including permissions and license agreement.
- You have successfully installed Parallels Desktop on your M1 Mac.
As for now the Parallels Desktop only supports ARM-based operating systems.
So, Windows Insider Preview is required to get Windows 10 on your latest Mac.
Download Windows 10 ARM for M1 Mac
- You have to open the Windows Insider Program page.
- Now, register for the Windows Insider program.
In case you are already registered, Log in to your account.
- Then download the latest preview of Windows 10 Client ARM64 Insider Preview.
- It will start downloading on your Mac.
As it is a full OS file, the time duration for the download, depends on your internet speed.
- We recommend you take a backup of your Mac before you follow the next section.
Steps to Install Windows 10 on M1 Macs
- Once you have the Windows 10 VHDX image, open Parallels Desktop on your Mac.
- It will detect the Windows 10 file, if not then manually choose the file in Installation Assistant.
- Now, you have to click on Create and it will start creating a Windows 10 for ARM virtual machine instance.
- Now, log into the Parallels account when it asks.
You are required to sign up if you don’t have an existing account. A
- A product key would be required, so enter the key that you saved during the download process.
- Once you have activated the parallel’s desktop, it will start configuring Windows 10.
Now, wait for the configuration process to be finished.
- Once the process is over, Windows 10 will boot in the Parallels Desktop.
- You are ready to use Windows 10 on your M1 Mac.
As we have mentioned earlier that, Parallels Desktop for M1 Mac is still in Technical Preview so there could be some bugs.
Also, the Windows 10 ARM is an insider preview so don’t expect similar performance as Windows 10 PCs.
You can make certain changes in the below-given settings to minimize bugs on M1 Mac Windows 10.
Disable Time Sync
The issues regarding the time sync function can be fixed by disabling the Time Sync in the Parallels Desktop configuration.
Firstly, you have to click on the Actions tab on the top left dock.
Then go to Configure > Options > More Options.
Select ‘Do Not Sync’ in the Time.
Turn on x64 Emulation
One may experience some sort of glitch using x64 apps.
To fix this issue, one can enable x64 Emulation in the Windows 10 Insider Preview build.
Follow the given-below steps:
- First, search for Windows Insider Program settings in the Windows search bar and open it.
- Click on ‘Go to Diagnostics & feedback settings to turn on optional diagnostic data’ and enable it.
- Then go back to previous settings and click on ‘Link a Windows Insider account‘.
- Log in with your Windows account.
- After login, click on Beta Channel and select Dev Channel.
- Now go to Windows update settings and search for updates.
- If it is showing a new Windows 10 insider preview build, then download & install it.
- After downloading the latest developer build, click on Restart and wait for reboot.
- Parallel Tools will also reinstall so wait for completion.
- Once the process is completed, you are good to use your Windows 10 on M1 Mac.
It is possible that we may see a future Parallels Desktop update with full support in the coming future.
We assure you that we will upgrade this guide as soon as we receive news regarding the same.
Feel free to drop your queries in the comment section.