It has only been a few weeks since Samsung has released its Galaxy S21 series.
It is the current premium flagship smartphone series from Samsung that offers valuable and smooth performance.
The series offers three variables including the Galaxy S21, Galaxy S21 Plus, and Galaxy S21 Ultra.
And we are pleased to announce that we have come up with a way to root Samsung Galaxy S21 (Ultra) and how to unlock the bootloader of the Galaxy S21 series.
All three devices support 5G and are powered by the powerful Snapdragon 888 or Exynos 2100 processor.
Fortunately, there are various customization options, however for the advance customization, you are required to root your phone.
So if you have the Exynos variant then you can easily unlock the bootloader and root your Galaxy S21.
However, before we head to the sections explaining the unlocking of the bootloader and rooting your device, let us specify you a little about the features of Galaxy S21 series and what it takes to root Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Key Features of Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
- Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra smartphone runs on the Android v11 (Q) operating system.
- The phone is powered by Octa-core (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585) processor.
- It runs on the Qualcomm Snapdragon 875 Chipset.
- Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra packs a Dynamic AMOLED display.
- Coming to the optics, on the camera front, the buyers get a 108 MP, f/1.8, (wide), 48 MP, f/3.5, (periscope telephoto), 12 MP, f/2.2, (ultrawide), 00.3 MP, TOF 3D, f/1.0, (depth) camera and on the rear, there’s a 108 MP + 48 MP + 12 MP + 00.3 MP, TOF camera.
- The device sports a 5000 mAh battery.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S21 (Ultra)
Among custom developers, Samsung is a popular OEM.
And most of the Galaxy phones receive support for Custom ROMs, Custom Recoveries for years.
But if anyone wants to enjoy the One UI but with some advanced features then they can root their Galaxy phones.
Rooting has become a challenging task over the years but it is still possible. And all the credit goes to John Wu, Magisk developer for his awesome work that lets users root their phones.
Steps To Unlock Bootloader Of Samsung Galaxy S21
Just like every other smartphone, Samsung also comes with a locked bootloader.
However, the OEM allows its users to unlock the bootloader in most of the regions.
We must bring it yo your notice, that it is necessary to unlock the bootloader in order to root your phone.
Here you will know which Galaxy S21 Bootloader can be unlocked.
You can unlock the bootloader of the Exynos variant as well as the Hong Kong Snapdragon variant.
So, if you have these variants then you can follow the steps given below to unlock the bootloader of your device:
- Firstly, make sure to have a full backup of your Samsung Galaxy S21 as the process will erase all your data from the phone.
- Once you have the full backup, then open Settings on your device and go to About Phone > Software Information.
- Now, in the Software Information, you will find the Build Number. You have to tap about 7-8 times on it to enable developer options.
- A message showing ‘You are now a developer’ will be displayed on your screen.
- Now, Go back to the main Settings and then go to Additional Settings > Developer Options and enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging in the Developer Options.
- Now enable OEM unlocking and USB debugging in the Developer Options.
- Once you have enabled the OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging power off your device.
Press and hold Volume Up + Volume Down and connect your phone to your PC.
- A warning screen will be displayed on your phone, and now you can release both buttons.
Now press the Volume Up button once, and Galaxy S21 will boot into Download mode.
- Long press the Volume Up button when the device is in Download Mode and finally, the bootloader will be unlocked on your device.
- Now, Reboot your device and make sure that OEM unlocking is greyed out in Developer options. If not, then you have to wait for a few days and repeat the steps.
One can confirm the bootloader status from the OEM Unlocking section in Developer Options.
If the section is greyed out, it means you have successfully unlocked the bootloader on Galaxy S21.
However, before you start rooting your phone, below is the list of requirements which is essential for rooting your Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra.
- We advise you to take a full backup of your phone before rooting to ensure no data loss.
- Make sure to Download Magisk Manager APK
- Also, Download Odin Flash Tool
- Unlocked bootloader.
- Download the Galaxy Z Flip firmware (use SamFirm or Frija)
- Install 7-zip on your PC.
Steps to Root Samsung Galaxy S21
We want to bring it to your notice that you need to download the correct files for your device.
For example, if you have the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra then you need to download the files for the same model.
All actions you perform at your own peril and risk!
The administration of the site Rootyourphone.com is not responsible for possible negative consequences for your device !!
Rooting a Samsung device can be a challenging task because of partition and a different format.
So, be sure to follow all the below-given steps correctly.
So, let’s jump into the steps.
- In the first step, extract the downloaded Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra on your computer and check for the AP file (file starting with AP).
- Now, you have to install Magisk Manager (canary build recommended) on your Galaxy S21.
Skip this step if the app is already installed on your device.
- Next, you have to open the Magisk Manager app on your phone after installing it and click on Install.
- A pop up will appear, where you need to choose ‘Select and Patch a File’.
- Now, you have to browse and select the boot tar file and wait for the patching process.
It can take a few seconds to patch the file.
- After patching the output file will be saved in the Download folder with the name magisk_patched.tar.
Use the below command to copy the patched tar file to your PC (directly copying can corrupt the patched file).
Requires USB Debugging.
adb pull /sdcard/Download/magisk_patched.tar
- Now, you have to open the Odin Flash Tool on your PC.
On the right side of the tool, load the magisk patched file in AP.
And load respective BL, CP, and Home CSC files (That are in the firmware).
- Now, you have to boot your Galaxy S21 into Download Mode.
- The Odin tool will detect your phone, and it will show blue color in the first stack above ID: COM.
- Once you have completed all the previous steps, click on the Start button.
It will start flashing the patched Magisk file to your phone.
- It will give a Pass message on completion and your device will reboot.
Do a factory reset, if the device is stuck in bootloop.
- After reboot, turn on the internet connection on your phone.
Install Magisk Manager if it’s not present on your phone.
Open the application and perform the steps that come in a dialog box.
Your work here is done.
You now have the access to apps and features that require root access.
Drop your queries in the comment section.