In this article, we will tell you how to Root Poco M2 Pro and access the advanced features of the device.
Here, we will guide you, so that you can root your Poco M2 Pro, but first, you have to unlock the bootloader.
Numerous affordable Android phones are available in the market and Poco M2 Pro is one of the best phones from Xiaomi that too on a budget.
The Poco M2 Pro packs some amazing features that deliver great performance and, as it a phone by Xiaomi, so it also has a customizable UI.
Key Specifications Of Poco M2 Pro
Poco Series started with the Poco F1 phone which is an affordable device of its time.
Now, let us brief you about the amazing specifications of the Poco M2 Pro.
The device has an attractive design and comes with a 6.67-inch FHD+ display.
You also get Gorilla Glass 5 on the front, back, and the rear camera module
Talking about the optics of the device, Poco M2 Pro has four rear cameras, which include a primary 48-megapixel sensor, an 8-megapixel sensor with a wide-angle lens, a 5-megapixel macro camera, and a 2-megapixel depth camera.
Moreover, you get a 16-megapixel hole-punch selfie camera.
Poco M2 Pro price in India starts from ₹ 13,999.
So, if you wish to root your Poco M2 pro, then you are at the right place, as in this article, we will provide you a step by step guide on how to root your Poco M2 pro and to unlock its bootloader.
Why Root Poco M2 Pro?
Xiaomi is known as one of the best brands for custom developments like custom ROMs, Custom Recoveries, and more, moreover, it is also easy to root Xiaomi phones.
Rooting provides an access to certain advanced features such as support for custom fonts, custom boot animation, third party themes, and more.
Poco is a sub-brand from Xiaomi and so it is also popular among custom developers.
Certain advanced features of a device require root access.
So, we are going to share an easy method using which you can root Poco M2 Pro.
However, before you move forward towards rooting your device, you need to unlock the bootloader of Poco M2 Pro.
What Is Bootloader?
A bootloader is the piece of code that runs before the operating system and tells the phone how to boot and find the system kernel.
The bootloader image is always specific to a device because each phone has different specifications and processors.
If you are an average consumer, you will never care that your phone has a locked bootloader.
But if you’re a power user who likes to tinker with your phone, a locked bootloader is a big deal. ROMs, mods, and custom files are an important part of the Android experience.
However, with a locked bootloader, you cannot flash custom ROMs, kernels, or root your phone.
Before you can perform any of these operations, you need to unlock your Poco M2 Pro.
How To Unlock Bootloader Of Poco M2 Pro
All the smartphones come with a locked bootloader that restricts users from writing on the system and you cannot root your phone without unlocking the bootloader.
Fortunately, the bootloader of a Xiaomi device can be easily unlocked.
You have to follow the below steps to unlock bootloader of Poco M2 Pro.
- First of all, we advise you to have a full backup of your device, as unlocking the bootloader of Poco M2 Pro will wipe off all the data.
- Now, you have to download the Mi Unlock Tool on your PC.
Also, install ADB & Fastboot Drivers on your PC.
- Now, go to the settings option of your device, and, login to Mi Account.
Once you have logged in then you have to wait for at least 7 days before moving to the next step. and if you are already logged in for more than 7 days, then skip this step.
- Then go to Settings > Mi Account > Mi Cloud and enable ‘Sync’ & ‘Find Device’.
Also, sync all App data at least once.
- Now you have to enable developer options, so go to About Phone and tap 7-8 times continuously on the MIUI version, and a message will display on your phone saying ‘You are now a developer.’
- Then open Developer Options, go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options.
- In developer options, you have to enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Now, connect your device to the active internet connection with the same number that you used in the Mi account.
And then, go to Mi Unlock Status (in developer options) and link your Mi Account.
- Now, boot your Poco M2 Pro into Fastboot mode.
Turn off your phone and then press & hold Volume Down + Power button together and release buttons when the Mi Bunny image shows up on the phone.
- Now, make sure your PC is connected to an active Internet network connection.
Then, open the Mi Unlock Tool and sign in with the same Mi account that you are using on your Poco M2 Pro.
- when your phone is detected, click on the ‘Unlock Now’ button.
- Now, it will now unlock the bootloader of Xiaomi Poco M2 Pro, and this will wipe off all the data from your phone.
Note: If the tool stops at 99%, then wait for a few days and try again with the same method.
Once, the bootloader of your phone has been unlocked, you can do system-level changes on your phone and now you can also root your Poco M2 Pro.
However, before you move forward to root your phone, make sure to go through the prerequisites.
- Firstly, be sure that you have unlocked the Bootloader of Poco M2 Pro.
- We recommend you to take a full backup of data to restore if anything goes wrong.
- Now, download Magisk Manager APK
- Make sure you have installed ADB & Fastboot driver on PC
- Download Poco M2 Pro firmware (the same version which is installed)
FAQ(Frequently Asked Questions related to rooting)
What is rooting?
Basically, it allows you to access the entire operating system and further customize your Android.
You can do whatever you want on your device without manufacturer or operator restrictions.
How difficult is it to root your device?
The truth is that rooting the mobile is not much more complex than installing some applications
How long does it take to root an android device?
It usually takes less than an hour
Advantages of rooting your devices
- You can squeeze the hardware to the maximum and optimize the battery
- Maximum Customisation
- No need to worry about updates
- Activate additional or blocked functions
- Detailed control and security
Steps to Root Poco M2 Pro with Magisk
- In the first step, you have to copy the downloaded Magisk Manager apk on your phone and install it.
- Now, extract the downloaded Firmware on your PC and open the extracted folder and copy the boot.img to your phone storage.
- Now, open the Magisk Manager app and click on the first Install, and in the next pop up screen, click on Install.
- In the next screen, choose ‘Select and Patch a File.
- It will take you to file storage, select the boot.img file.
It will start patching the file, wait for the patching process.
- Once the file is patched, the patched file will be saved in the Download folder with the name magisk_patched.img or patched_boot.img.
- Then, you have to copy the patched file to your computer at location C:\adb.
Now, you have to rename the file to boot.img.
- After that, turn off your Xiaomi Poco M2 Pro and boot into Fastboot mode (use the guide given in unlock bootloader).
Now, connect your phone to the computer when it is in Fastboot mode.
- Go to the C:\adb folder, press Shift + Right-click on an empty area, and select ‘Open PowerShell window here’ or ‘Open Command window here.’
- Now you have to enter the below commands on your command/PowerShell window to check if it is connected, it should return id.
– fastboot devices
- Once it is connected, enter the below command to flash the patched boot image to root Poco M2 Pro.
-fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After flashing the patched boot file, you have to reboot your phone into the system using the below command.
- When the device boot into the system, open the Magisk Manager application and follow the in-app instructions.
- You are done.
You have successfully rooted your Poco M2 Pro.
Now, that your phone has been rooted, you can enjoy the access to certain advanced features.
You can also uninstall the pre installed applications.
Incase you have any query, feel free to post it in the comment section.