The ROG phone series launched by ASUS is one of a kind when it comes to gaming. Each year, ASUS launches a new phone under this series, and this year, the company has come up with ROG Phone 5, ROG Phone 5 Pro, and ROG Phone 5 Ultimate. Other than offering a great gaming experience, the company also allows its users to unlock the bootloader and root Asus ROG Phone 5 Pro. In this guide, we have come up with a guide on how to Unlock Bootloader And Root Asus ROG Phone 5 Pro.
Before we move to the sections explaining the process of unlocking the Bootloader And Root Asus ROG Phone 5 Pro, let’s check out the features of the device.
Highlights of Asus ROG Phone 5 Pro
- The phone comes with a 6.78-inch touchscreen display with a resolution of 1080×2448 pixels.
- Asus ROG Phone 5s Pro is powered by an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 888+ processor.
- It comes with 18GB of RAM.
- The Asus ROG Phone 5s Pro runs Android 11 and is powered by a 6000mAh removable battery.
- The Asus ROG Phone 5s Pro supports proprietary fast charging.
- Coming to optics, the device packs a 64 Mega-pixel primary camera and 13 Mega-Pixel camera.
- Asus ROG Phone 5s Pro include Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth v5.20, NFC, USB Type-C, and Wi-Fi Direct.
If you are a gamer, then we are pleased to inform you that you can enhance your gaming experience by rooting your device. Rooting is the best method to enjoy advanced features on your phone. If you want to customize your phone without any custom ROMs. Rooting brings many features to any Android phone. Such features are the support for boot animation, third-party themes, custom fonts, and more. However, unlocking the Bootloader is a necessity, if you wish to root your device.
Steps Unlock Bootloader of Asus ROG Phone 5 Pro
Just like every other device, Asus ROG Phone 5 pro also comes with a locked bootloader. A locked bootloader is good for security reasons, however, it also restricts users from enjoying advanced features on their phones. So, move forward with the process, only if you are okay with losing the security features. To unlock the bootloader of Asus ROG Phone 5 Pro, follow the below-given steps:
- Visit the official support page of Asus ROG Phone 5 . (If you have 5 Pro or 5 Ultimate then select those models).
- Now, in the webpage switch to Drivers and Tools section.
- From the drop-down option, you have to select Android.
- Now all the important utility files will be listed on your screen including the Unlock APK.
- In the next step, you have to download the ‘Unlock Device App’ for Rog Phone 5/Pro/Ultimate.
- Once you download the APK file, copy it to your phone and install it.
- Move to the Settings option in your phone > About Phone and tap Build Number 7 times to turn on developer options.
- Go back to Settings > Developer Options and enable OEM unlocking and USB Debugging.
- Now, you have to open the ROG Phone 5 unlock app and accept its rules.
- A button will be there in the app to unlock bootloader. It is recommended to take a full back up of your data, as the process might wipe the data off your phone.
- After unlocking the bootloader of Rog Phone 5, reboot your phone and set up your device.
You can check whether the bootloader has been unlocked with the command
fastboot oem device-info (you need to boot your phone in bootloader/fastboot mode to enter this command). After verifying the status, you can move forward to root your phone. However, there are certain prerequisites that you have to meet before commencing the rooting process.
- A full back of your device.
- Keep your device charged upto at least 50%.
- Download & Install Magisk app on your Phone.
- Install ADB and Fastboot drivers.
- Download Asus ROG Phone 5/Pro/Ultimate firmware (Same version as your build number. Use this link)
How to Root your ROG Phone 5 (Pro) with Magisk
- First of all, you need to extract the boot image file (boot.img) from the Asus ROG Phone 5 firmware using payload dumper.
- Next, you have to copy the extracted boot.img to your phone.
- Open the Magisk app on your phone.
- In the app, you have to click on Install next to Magisk.
Make sure Ramdisk shows status ‘Yes’.
- You have to choose ‘Select and Patch a File’ and select the boot.img file from the phone storage.
- The process of patching the file will begin now and you will get the output in the Download folder as magisk_patched.img.
- Now, you have to copy the patched boot file to your computer (in C:\adb location). And rename the file to boot.img.
- Open the Command window from the same location. In case if you have macOS or Linux then download platform tools and copy boot.img here and open the command window here.
- Now, you have to boot your phone into Download/Bootloader Mode. Also, connect the phone to PC using a USB cable. To boot into bootloader you can either use shortcut buttons or command:
adb reboot bootloader
- In this step, you have to enter the below command to flash patched boot image and root ROG Phone 5.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After you install the Magisk on your phone, reboot it to the system and now you can finally use your rooted phone.
If any additional steps are asked, then you can finish them off using the Magisk app. Also, feel free to drop your queries in the comment section.