The OnePlus Nord is just starting to arrive at the doors of early buyers with amazing features like flagship camera, Nightscape, Dual Selfie cameras, OxygenOS, 90 Hz AMOLED display, and many more impeccable features and we have already found a way to root it.
XDA Senior Member has put together a guide that makes use of XDA Senior Recognized Developer topjohnwu’s Magisk to root the device.
Obviously there’s no TWRP or flashable Magisk zip this early in the product cycle for the Nord, so rooting it will take a few steps.
You’ll need to have your PC handy and know your way around ADB and your PC’s command-line interface but before we get to that let’s have a look over a few FAQs.
What is rooting?
Basically, it allows you to access the entire operating system and further customize your Android.
You can do whatever you want on your device without manufacturer or operator restrictions.
How difficult is it to root your device?
The truth is that rooting the mobile is not much more complex than installing some applications
How long does it take to root an android device?
It usually takes less than an hour
Advantages of rooting your devices
- You can squeeze the hardware to the maximum and optimize the battery
- Maximum Customisation
- No need to worry about updates
- Activate additional or blocked functions
- Detailed control and security
To successfully obtain root privileges, you must:
Follow the instructions exactly;
- Charge the device’s battery by 50% or more;
- Make sure that the model and firmware version match.
If all the points are completed, you can proceed to obtain root rights.
All actions you perform at your own peril and risk!
The administration of the site Rootyourphone.com is not responsible for possible negative consequences for your device !!
Pre requirement before beginning the root process:
Preparing to root OnePlus Nord
The foremost step is to Update OxygenOS to the latest build (currently 10.5.2) using this thread, since there’s no publicly available flashable zip of the build the Nord ships with (thus no extractable boot.img).
- The next step in the process is to download India build or EU build depending on your location.
- Now, Go to Settings > System > System Update and use the local update option.
- Now, Activate Developer Options and select “allow OEM unlock” and “allow USB debugging”.
- Install the latest Android Developer Platform Tools on your PC and connect your OnePlus Nord to your PC.
- The last step in the preparation is to open the command terminal window on your PC.
Process to root OnePlus Nord
- Use ADB to reboot your OnePlus Nord into fastboot mode (navigate to your platform tools folder in your command window and type “adb reboot bootloader”).
- Now, type “fastboot OEM unlock” in your command window ( Note: Unlocking the bootloader will erase all your user data).
- Reboot your phone and complete the OxygenOS setup process.
- Now you will have to download and patch the boot image for your variant
- Download Magisk Manager from topjohnwu’s repo.
- Now, Download the extracted boot.img for your build (EU) (India)
- Next, we will install Magisk Manager and choose “Select and patch a file” option to patch the boot.img file which you have downloaded in the previously mentioned step.
- Once Magisk Manager is done patching the boot.img file you downloaded, you can find the patched file in your phone’s downloads folder.
- In this step, switch your phone’s active boot image with the one you have previously downloaded and patched with Magisk Manager.
- Now, you have to Copy that patched boot.img (which should be named magisk_patched.img) to your computer.
- In this step, Return to your PC’s command window and type “adb reboot bootloader” to return your phone to fastboot mode.
- Now, Type “fastboot getvar current-slot” and press Enter.
- If the output is a, type “fastboot flash boot_a magisk_patched.img” and press Enter.
- If the output is b, type “fastboot flash boot_b magisk_patched.img” and press Enter.
- Now, in the final step, Reboot to OxygenOS and open Magisk Manager – it should now suggest that your phone has been rooted.
If you have done all the above mentioned steps carefully you have successfully gained root access to your Oneplus Nord.
If you face any issue or have any concerns regarding this process fell free to leave a comment.