The Windows 11 Insider build has finally been released and people are more than excited to try it. Surprisingly, there are also some Mac users who want to try new Windows 11 on their systems.
You heard us right, it’s possible to get Windows 11 on Mac PCs.
You can easily install Windows 11 on Mac (Intel and Apple Silicon M1-based)
All you need to do is to follow this guide on how to Install Windows 11 on Mac.
features of windows 11
Windows 11 has a ton of new features.
Android apps, Snap Layouts, Widgets, and more new features are coming to PCs soon with Microsoft’s Windows 11 upgrade. Read along to know how you can boot Windows 11 on Mac PCs.
Note – Do note that the method for installing Windows 11 on your Intel-based macs is different from that of Apple’s M1-based Macs.
In this article, we will be providing you a guide on how you can use Windows 11 on Mac (Both Intel and Mac M1 Based) by following a few simple steps.
let’s first check how to get Windows 11 on Intel Macs.
How To Install Windows 11 on Mac [Intel]
Well, almost all Intel-based Mac systems with Boot camp assistance should be able to install Windows 11 easily.
Below we have provided a list of Mac systems that have Boot Camp Assistant.
- MacBooks 2015 and newer
- MacBook Air 2012 and newer
- MacBook Pro 2012 and newer
- Mac mini 2012 and newer
- iMac 2012 and newer
- iMac Pro
- Mac Pro 2013 and newer
- Your system should have 64GB to 128GB of storage space.
- Make sure your system has the Windows 11 ISO.
- Also, ensure that your Mac is running on the latest version of the OS.
Download Windows 11 ISO for Mac
The Insider Preview builds for Windows 11 have been released, but one cannot find them on the official website of Microsoft.
You have to look for the ISO either on Twitter or just by running a Google Search or you can download it from here – Windows 11 ISO
Check Settings for Secure Boot
Windows 11 primary requirement is that the device must have TPM and Secure boot enable. Hence, make sure that Boot Security is set to Full Security. In order to check on what settings your Startup Security is on, simply press the Command and R keys as soon as you see the Apple logo when you turn your system on. Also, make sure to enable Allow booting from External Media.
How To Install Windows 11 on Intel Mac
- First of all, you have to create a Windows partition with Boot camp Assistant.
- Now, open up Boot Camp Assistant by heading over to Applications > Utilities.
- Next, you have to click on the Continue button.
- It will now ask to search for the Windows 11 ISO file.
- Once you have selected the ISO file, it will ask you to create a partition. You can input your storage size here. It has to be more than 64 GB.
- We must bring it to your notice that you won’t be able to make changes to the storage size once you’ve installed Windows 11.
Since you’ve allotted the storage size for the partition, Boot Camp begins formatting the partition. Your Mac will now restart. Enter in your user password to begin the installation of Windows 11 on Mac. Now, Boot Camp will ask you to select the partition which you created previously.
Now, your Windows 11 installation will begin. This is where you will see changes to the setup UI when you will be asked to fill in details such as your system region, additional keyboard layouts, privacy settings, and the purpose of the system that is going to be used. It will also ask you to create or sign in with a Microsoft account as it will be required in case you wish to make use of Microsoft’s OneDrive cloud storage.
Select Startup Disc
Once you have successfully installed Windows 11 on your system, it will restart. As it restarts, it will ask you to choose the startup disc that you wish to boot into.
Then, you have to Select the Boot Camp disc to boot into Windows 11.
You can also use the Boot Camp control panel to select the primary boot method.
Feel proud, you now have installed Windows 11 on your Mac which is based on Intel.
However, if you own a Mac that runs on an Apple M1 chip then in that case we have another method for you.
How to Install Windows 11 on M1 Mac [Apple Silicon M1]
Apple’s newly released Mac systems now come with the in-house Apple Silicon M1 chip. Now what this means is that you will no longer have Boot Camp Assistant.
However, you will be making use of third-party software called Parallels Desktop. As of now the Parallels does not officially support Windows 11 and they are already working to bring Windows 11 support.
Surprisingly, you can still get Windows 11 on M1 Mac using some workarounds.
- An M1 system installed with the latest updates
- Parallels Desktop
- 22GB of free storage.
- Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO file (ARM).
Download the Windows 10 ISO (Insider Preview)
You might be surprised, but what you have read is right. Even though the Insider Preview builds for Windows 11 have been released and you can get hands-on Windows 11 ISO, but as Parallels does not support it officially, we are going to first install Windows 10 ISO.
- First of all, you need to register for the Insider Preview on the Microsoft official website.
- Next, you have to download the Windows 10 Insider preview ISO file (ARM version).
- Since Macs with Apple Silicon chips support ARM build, you need to download the same build.
Download Parallels Desktop
One can seamlessly run Windows applications side by side with OS X applications
It functions as a virtual machine software that you can run on any Mac system to try out and explore any other operating system. The price of the software is $9.99, but you can always make use of the trial version. You can download and install Parallel Desktop from here.
Setup Parallels Desktop
In order to commence the process of installing Windows 11, follow these steps.
- First of all, you have to open the Parallels Desktop app on your mac system.
- Now, a message asking you to install an ARM version of the operating system will appear on your screen now.
- Next, you have to click on Continue and select the downloaded Windows 10 Insider Preview ISO.
- Now you have to give a name to your virtual machine. You can also simply name it Windows 11 or Windows 10.
- Also, select the cores of the processor, amount of RAM, and storage for Windows 11 to run on.
- Now that you’ve finished customizing the setup, you simply have to click on the Create button.
- When you are satisfied with your configuration, click on the Lock button and click on Continue to begin the installation of Windows 10.
Install Windows 11 on Mac M1
As we have mentioned earlier that it is a workaround, you need to make some changes in the registry.
Also in later steps, you may have to bypass the TPM check with the given steps.
- After installing the Windows 10 Insider Preview, open registry editor and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > WindowsSelfHost > UI > Selection.
- Now change the UIBranch value to Dev.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > WindowsSelfHost > Applicability and change the BranchName value to Dev.
- After changing values restart your Windows 10. Once the Windows 10 boot up, go to Windows Update Settings > Check for Updates.
- It will now detect the Windows 11 Insider Preview which is currently the latest build available.
- Now if you get a TPM related popup, here you have to do the trick to bypass TPM check. Don’t close the popup.
- Open File Explorer and search for AppraiserRes.dll file. And when it shows the file, go to that file location. Now right click on the dll file and select Cut option.
- Now go back to the popup page and click Continue button (It can be in Chinese). Now it will take few seconds and go away.
- In the Windows Update page, click on Fix issues button to continue. It will now start downloading the update. Meanwhile create a new folder in desktop and paste the AppraiserRes dll file.
- When you paste the file, you will see a new pop up with Almost Ready message. If you get the same error then try repeating the steps again.
- Close the Almost Ready popup and the download will continue without any issue. Now when it passes the percentage when you received error popup cut the dll file and paste to its original location.
- The Windows 11 update will now download and install on your M1 Mac.
- When it ask for restert, click on the Restart Now button and wait. And once it restart, you will find the Windows 11 running on your M1 Mac.
That’s it, now you can use Windows 11 on your M1 Mac without any issues
Points to Remember
- One must download the files from trusted and verified sources.
- Unknown sources may include some restricted files that can harm your PC. So, it is better to download the ISO from a trusted source or the official Microsoft page if you are downloading Windows 10 ISO.
You must be aware of the fact that the parallel team is working on the official Windows 11 support, so once their update is available you will be able to directly install Windows 11 ISO on M1 Mac without any issues.
Feel free to drop your queries in the comment section.