iPhone 12 is the latest phone launched by Apple.
The iPhone 12 series consist of 4 phones in total.
All these phones come with a bezel-less display meaning that they have no home button.
However, this was expected as Apple ditched the home button a long ago for premium its devices.
So, if you are switching to iPhone 12 and you require a home button. then you are at right place.
Here you will know how to put iPhone into DFU Mode and Recovery Mode.
With the launch of iPhone 12 series, Apple has brought back the old iPhone design but with a bezel-less display.
So, controlling the new generation of iPhones is different than iPhones with home button.
Presence of three physical buttons on the phone including Volume Down, Volume Up, and a Side button can be used for various purposes other than controlling Volume.
Numerous users are not aware of different modes available on iPhones and are rarely used by a standard user.
These modes are Recovery and DFU mode.
If anyone of you Jailbreak your iPhone, then you must be aware of the mode, as it is used in the process.
Various key combinations can be used to put iPhones into Recovery mode and DFU mode.
So, if you happen to know how to put iPhones into DFU Mode and Recovery Mode with a home button, then this article is much of use to you if you are switching to a newer iPhone like iPhone 12.
As there are no home buttons in iPhone X or newer iPhones, you need to use different buttons to boot the iPhone into Recovery mode and DFU mode.
Before we move forward to the method to put the iPhone 12 into recovery and DFU mode, let’s understand what these modes are and where it can be used.
Recovery Mode in iPhone 12
It is an advanced mode used for troubleshooting, restoring, and updating iPhones.
The recovery mode is also used for fixing complex software issues.
For example, if you struggle to open an application or your iPhone is stuck in bootloop.
This model tends to be useful in many conditions even when the iPhone becomes unusable or when the screen stucks.
DFU Mode in iPhone 12
The word DFU stands for Device Firmware Update and the DFU mode is used to connect with iTunes.
Recovery mode also interfaces with iTunes but DFU mode doesn’t load the iPhone operating system also referred to as bootloader.
This mode allows the users to restore their iPhones and it can also be used to downgrade iOS.
Before we start with the process of putting iPhone 12 into recovery mode, there are certain prerequisites which are required to be fulfilled.
- First of all, we recommend you to take a full backup of your iPhone as performing an action in Recovery or DFU mode can wipe off all your data.
- A Lightning Cable
- The latest version of iTunes or Finder
- The guide will work for iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, and iPhone 12 Pro Max
Steps to boot into recovery mode on iPhone 12
In our first guide, we will tell you how to boot iPhone 12 into Recovery Mode.
- In the first step, you have to connect your iPhone 12 with your Mac or PC.
- If you are connecting your device for the first time, a message will appear on your screen asking if you trust the device or not.
So click on the Trust button on your iPhone 12 and then you have to enter the passcode on your iPhone to continue.
- When your phone is connected to the Mac or PC, press the Volume Up button and release it.
- Now, press the Volume Down button and release.
- Then, you have to press & hold the Side button until you see the cable & PC animation.
- It will now show a prompt on your Mac or PC for Restore and Update option.
You have successfully booted your iPhone 12 into Recovery Mode, if these two options appear on your computer screen.
You can use the update option if you want to upgrade your device but make sure to have a backup of al your data stored on the phone for the safer side.
Steps to Put iPhone 12 into DFU Mode
Now let’s move forward and learn how to boot iPhone 12 into DFU mode using a simple method.
- First, you have to connect your iPhone 12 to your computer using the lightning cable.
- It will prompt an option on your iPhone to trust the device so click on the Trust button.
Also, enter your passcode.
- In the third step, you have to press the Volume Up button and immediately release it.
- Now, And then press the Volume Down button and release it.
- After that press and hold the Side button for about 10 seconds.
Don’t release it now.
- While holding the Side button also hold the Volume Down button for 5 seconds.
- Now, you have to release the Side button, but keep holding the Volume down button for the next 10 seconds.
- When a completely black screen appears that means your iPhone 12 is in DFU Mode.
- A popup will appear on your computer with only the OK button while your iPhone is in DFU mode.
- The popup will show the message “Your Mac has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used.”
This is how you can use different modes available on your phone if you are aware of its functions.
It is mostly used by developers to perform various advanced options.
In case, you have any query, feel free to let us know in the comment section.