How To Customize Or Change App Icons On iOS 14
If there is something that characterizes Apple since its inception, it is that iOS has always been much more closed than Android in terms of customization but now with a trick, we can change app icons on iOS 14
The update to iOS 14 , which has been available globally since September 16, has brought with it the widgets (present in Android for years) and, with it, has opened the door to a customization never seen before.
Not surprisingly, in recent days, social networks have been filled with examples – some quite tacky, some people have completely modified the interface of their iPhone .
And no, we are not talking about adding widgets and app drawers, but about directly changing the icons and designing your own home screen.
Changing the icons in Android is a simple process, but to change app icons on iOS 14 you have to use the shortcut trick.
Steps to change app icons on iOS 14
- First of all, what you have to do is locate and select the photos you want to use as icons, either from your album or by downloading them from the internet (on Pinterest or Tumblr, for example).
- Open the Shortcuts app , click on the icon (+)> ‘Add action’> ‘Scripts’> ‘Open app’.
- You press where it says ‘Select’, you choose an app from the menu (in our case, Instagram) and you touch the icon with the three dots.
- In the new window, put the name of the shortcut “Instagram”, click on ‘Add to home screen ‘, change the name to “Instagram” again and click on the icon next to it.
- In the drop-down menu, tap on ‘Select photo’ and choose the one you want from your gallery. Finally, you click on ‘Add’ and, automatically, the new icon will appear on the home screen.
Keep in mind that this new icon does not replace the previous one, but it is a shortcut to the app, so the direct access to Instagram will appear twice (we can always send the official app to the app library).
We repeat that step as many times as necessary to change the icons of all our apps
Here is a home screen customized by a twitter user
We conclude our guide here if you have any queries feel free to contact us in the comment section and we will be happy to help you.
we go on to customize the widgets :
- To do this, we download an app for this function, such as ‘Widgetsmith’ or ‘Photo Widget’.
- The most popular right now is ‘Widgetsmith’, which is the one we have chosen.
- We choose one of the widgets that they propose: Small, Medium, or Large (in our case, Medium), click on it, and click on ‘Default Widget’.